sweet potato dhal
Hi Everyone! I hope you are keeping well. With the beautiful sunshine we’ve been having lately, I was inspired to recreate some golden rays with my latest dish – sweet potato dhal! I made this recipe in collaboration with East End Foods and used their beautiful turmeric powder to give the dhal its vibrant yellow. Combined with their red lentils, I also added some of their curry powder, garam masala and cumin seeds to add some delicious flavours to this wholesome dish. I wanted to add some more textures to the traditional dhal too, so I also added in some sweet potato and spinach. It’s such a simple, quick and flavoursome recipe to make – and you can easily have the whole meal prepared and ready to eat in 30 minutes, so I hope you enjoy it!
sweet potato dhal
200g red lentils – I used East End Foods
200g sweet potato, peeled and cubed into bite-sized piece
1 tsp turmeric – I used East End Foods
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
1 large onion, finely sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds – I used East End Foods
1 tsp garam masala – I used East End Foods
1/2 tsp mild curry powder – I used East End Foods
- Fill a large pan with 1 litre of water, and place onto a medium heat. As the water starts to boil, add in the sweet potato cubes and lentils.
- After about 5 minutes, froth will begin to rise up to the top of the water. Using a spoon, lightly scoop out as much of it as possible while the potato and lentils cook.
- After about 8-10 minutes have passed, add in the turmeric, salt and pepper, to taste. Stir everything together and leave to keep cooking.
- Next, place a frying pan onto a medium-high heat. Add in the oil, cumin seeds, garam masala and curry powder and heat for 30 seconds. Then, add in the garlic and onion. Stir together and fry for about 5 or so minutes until golden.
- Once the onions and garlic have cooked with the spices, remove them from the heat and add them into the dhal. Then, take a handful of spinach and add it into the dhal mixture. Stir everything together until well mixed.
- Once all of the dhal ingredients have mixed together, heat through and stir for a final 2 minutes. Then, remove from the heat and serve.