Ratatouille is an easy way to make a meal that tastes delicious, and is also packed full of healthy, vitamin rich vegetables. The flavour in this comes from the smoked paprika, which is a favourite spice of mine as it can liven up any recipe. You could easily enjoy this for lunch or dinner and have it as a side dish or main. It goes great on top of a roasted sweet or standard potato! You could serve it with rice too, or some quinoa if you want to add a nice amount of protein into your meal. The most important thing about this is that it helps inspire you to introduce more vegetables into your diet, as they’re so important and many of us just don’t eat enough of them. I hope you enjoy this family favourite of mine! Feel free to add any variations you like to this dish, such as some other vegetables – I think spinach or kale could work well. I actually used a yellow courgette when making this for some different colours, so feel inspired to personalise this as you like!
6 large tomatoes 400g
6 red cherry tomatoes 50g
4 mushrooms 100g
1 red pepper
1 courgette (zucchini)
1 tsp oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp vegetable stock
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a blender, blend the 6 large tomatoes until smooth and then set aside for later.
2. Finely slice your onion, and chop the other vegetables into your preferred shaped pieces.
3. Put the oil into a pan and add the onions, fry on a medium heat until lightly golden for about 2-3 minutes. After this, add the mushrooms, pepper, cherry tomatoes and courgette and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
4. When the vegetables have softened and cooked, pour in your blended tomatoes, crushed garlic clove, paprika, basil, oregano and some salt and pepper to taste. Don’t worry if the mixture looks a bit pink at first! The tomatoes red colour will develop from the heat. Cook for a further 5 minutes or so, for the flavours to develop.
5. When the ratatouille has cooked, remove from the heat and serve on to plates with what else you like. Enjoy!