A few weeks ago, I took part in the #OrganicBlogathon2015, which was hosted by Of The Earth Superfoods and Icetank Studio. The event was part of a competition I had won, where 8 bloggers were given the chance to demonstrate one of their own recipes in front of a live audience. I had never done anything like this before, and I was so excited that to be a part of this amazing event!
On the day, I travelled up to London to Icetank‘s beautiful studio in Covent Garden – and I couldn’t wait to start cooking. I chose to demonstrate my Asian Brown Rice Salad recipe, as it’s one of my absolute favourite dishes to make and I really love the spicy peanut sauce that goes with it. It’s a fairly quick and simple dish to make, even though I managed to slice my finger open, opening a tin can just before I started cooking (a typical thing for me to do). Asides from that, I was really pleased with how the dish went. I had so much fun on the day, presenting my food and being able to meet and talk to so many great people! Thank you to Icetank and OTE Superfoods for letting me take part!
The video from my demonstration is now up, and I really wanted to share it with you so that I could show you how it went! Here it is:
Out of the 8 bloggers who cooked on that day, there will be one winner who will be selected this Friday, to host their own event at the Icetank Studio. I’m really looking forward to finding out the result, and am keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck to all of the other bloggers who took part.
I hope you enjoyed the video! I’ve included the recipe below for you:
asian brown rice salad
serves about 4
for the salad:
1 large carrot
1 courgette (zucchini)
1 cup (190g) brown rice
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the dressing:
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp rice vinegar
5 tbsp coconut cream
1 tbsp medium curry powder
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 packets of Taifun Smoked Tofu (or any other tofu product/side etc.)
1. Firstly, cook your rice. Fill a large pan with water about half way, and bring to a boil on a medium-high heat. Then, add in the rice and cook for around 20-25 minutes.
2. While the rice cooks, prepare the salad. In turn, grate the courgette, cucumber, apple and carrot lengthways into rough strips. Then, add them into a large mixing bowl and set aside somewhere cool.
3. Then, make the dressing. Add the peanut butter, sesame oil, rice vinegar, coconut syrup, coconut cream, curry powder, soy sauce, chilli powder, garlic, ginger and salt into a small blender (I used my NutriBullet), and blend together until smooth. Then, set aside.
4. When the rice has cooked, remove it from the heat, drain and allow to cool slightly for a couple of minutes. In the meantime, following any instructions on your packaging, prepare/cook your tofu or other accompanying ingredient.
5. Then, when the rice has cooled, add it in to the mixing bowl with the other salad ingredients, the rice vinegar, salt and some black pepper. Stir everything together until well mixed.
6. When the tofu has cooked, remove it from the oven and assemble the dish onto plates or bowls to serve. I do this by spooning the salad onto plates/bowls, topping with the tofu and then drizzling with the dressing to finish.